Welcome to Sarah's blog about her year teaching English in Uijeongbu, South Korea. Enjoy!
RSS

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

the true global language = body language

Hi world!

Been awhile since my last post. Consider it a good thing - I've been so busy that I haven't had time to upload pics! :)

Started a Friday night tradition to go see movies with Dominic. so far we've seen "My Sister's Keeper" and "9." My Sister's Keeper could definitely have been better - semi-ok acting and scripting was unrealistic. The movie seemed to aim more at displaying all the emotions of grief which was good. 9 was way more intense than I thought - def not for kids. I really liked it.

been to a few bars with Dominic and other co-workers and friends. nothing crazy yet. just some beers and chatting. kicked some ass at some darts one night which was fun. always seems to be an adventure getting home. there are three options when partying in Seoul: 1) you leave at 11pm, 2) you pay for a taxi, or 3) you stay up until 6:30 when public transportation opens! ha. Only taken options 1 and 2 so far :)

explored COEX mall two Saturdays ago with Dominic and Ga Yeong. It's the largest underground shopping complex in Asia. They recommend a map so you don't get lost! We checked out the duty-free area with expensive designer stores including a $91,000 100% diamond watch!!! If you feel like going in on a Christmas present for me, contact my mom for details on buying the watch ;) I bought some souvenirs and thats about it. we ended that day with some TGIFridays for dinner and Karaoke with beer! So fun!

I ventured out alone last Saturday to go see a Korean-Japanese theater collaboration musical called the Silence of Sound at the Sejong Center for Performing Arts. The musical is a story meant to touch people from all over the world and has the intent to launch globally in the next few years. The story is about a man in a mental institution that has flashbacks of his life before and during the war. Of course I could not understand the spoken Korean or written Japanese but with actors' emotions and music, I was able to understand through emotion. I thought that was pretty cool and encourages me to try that again. While I went by myself, no one was sitting to my right, so I put the seat down and pretended someone from home was with me. It was a nice thought anyway. After the musical, I ventured around to take pictures. See them below! There is an area called a plaza with the Gyeongbok Palace entrance (see how the lighted picture imitate the shape of the entrance) and a statue of a famous man in Korea. It's all very beautiful at night. I'll be going back on Saturday for the palace tour which will get me inside for the real pictures! Later Ga Yeong met up with me and we went for dinner to get dumplings (yum!) To end the night, we grabbed juice box wine (literally) and went to sit at the historic Cheonggye Stream flowing from the palace entrance.

I visited Ga Yeong's Methodist church on Sunday for the 2PM service. I felt like the first foreigner to ever visit there. I was a superstar! Ga Yeong had told me how people were excited to meet me but WOW! The church fits 1,000 but is about 55% full and has three big screens with lights and decor. They are trying to bring newcomers of course. The service started out with pop music and then choral music. After the readings, the pastor was about 10 minutes into his Korean sermon when all of sudden he said "what's your name?" in English!! A bunch of people turned around. Ga Yeong said, "He's talking to you!" So I timidly replied, "Sarah!" Shortly after, the screens panned and zoomed to me. haha. For the first time, i realized how much I really stand out here - i was thinking: 'Hey there's a foreigner on the screen! oh wait, that's me!' The pastor continued asking me a few questions like "why are you here" and "where are you from?" He asked to meet me after the service. I met the pastor, Ga Yeong's friends, sister, and mom. Her mom took us to the best Korean meal I've had. I bought eye glasses (which are really cheap here so if you want some let me know!!) My favorite part of the day was going to coffee with GaYeong, her sister SaYeong, and her sister's friend NaeMoo. We chatted for a few hours mostly girl talk and in English! I felt like I finally has some girl friends here! I'm excited about what we will do together - shop, go out, eat, talk, and dance! I'm going with them to the palace this Saturday and then out to dinner. Should be a really fun time.

At school, we are in the middle of the two filming days where they are filming a piece of our classes and English interviews of the students. it's all for a promotional marketing video which of course i understand! :) Thursday we are celebrating having 80 students (which we missed that celebration) by going out for nice sushi. i'm stoked!

Chuseok is next weekend (Oct 3) which is the Korean Thanksgiving. I hope to find someone to celebrate with (and we'll have to cook cuz pretty much everything except for public transportation shuts down that day!) My friend and sorority sister from Creighton is coming to Korea over that time period and I can't wait to meet up with her.

Found this of a cute Korean kid! love it:


More updates pics!:

Click here to view these pictures larger



Kimsanida! (Thank you)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Props to you for going to experience the theater alone and so sweet the notion that someone for home was joining you as mentioned in pulling the seat down.
I love hearing about your adventures and how fully you're embracing every opportunity to experience the Korean culture and meet new friends.

Loved the video of "Hey Jude" too

LOVE the Shutterfly links...so easy to view the pictures and I really appreciate the photos of the architecture, gardens, and fountains...it's like being there. Thanks for sharing those images as well as all of you new friends!

So interesting about the large Methodist church...sounds like my church here. I am really surprised that their is such a big Christian church that sounds modern over there. You were probably quite the attraction...for obvious reasons ;)
Miss you xxoo

Post a Comment