Welcome to Sarah's blog about her year teaching English in Uijeongbu, South Korea. Enjoy!
RSS

Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Tales

Check out the Happy Tale I wrote about Meeko's (yes I changed Sonny's name to Meeko after the mischievous raccoon on Pocahontas) on the site that I adopted him from. The organization certainly has saved a lot of dog and cat lives in Korea. Surf their site and learn more.

To the tune of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song:

"Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became a cat with a name of Meeko

In south of Seoul, Korea born and raised
Out on the streets was where I spent most of my days
Huntin' out playin' relaxin' all cool
And all survivin' the streets with very little food :(
When a couple of guys
Who were up to some good
Picked me up and took me to a shelter-hood
I looked deep into the eyes of one volunteer
She said 'You're comin' home with me; I will give you care'

My temp name was Karra and I met a new cat
And started going potty in some sand in a box
She posted my story and pics on ARK's site
And one week later moved to my new mom's, Sarah!

I pulled up to the house about 11 or 10
And I checked the new crib 'Yo home: you smell good!'
I looked at my mommy
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as Meeko the Cool Cat!"

So that's all fun and I hope you followed the storyline. Here's a story from the foster mom Katey:
"I found Karra aka Little Guy, at an animal shelter that my boyfriend and I had been volunteering at. We told the shelter that I am allergic to some dogs so we could only volunteer with the cats because they had told us they don’t really take care of the cats there. The cats and kittens were all in run down cages outdoors (I wonder what will happen in the winter) and I felt terribly bad for them. One day while washing some of the older cats that were covered in their own feces and urine, some new kittens came in and I just couldn’t bear to leave there another day without rescuing some of them. We ended up taking two babies home with us, as there is no adoption fee and they really don’t monitor the cats as well as the dogs. After numerous vet trips the kittens were able to be adopted out. The first one to leave went to a friend of ours. After a few weeks I heard of ARK and posted the picture of our ‘Little Guy’ and within a week had found a wonderful match for him! I hope to go back there and get more to find homes for!"

After I, Sarah, adopted him and visited the vet for the first round of vaccinations, he started taking pills for a mold on his skin. He took them for two weeks then stopped for a week but now is on them for one more week just to make sure it's cleared. His ear mites are gone and he's getting neutered mid-December. He is my lovey - like a kid. I've spoiled him with gifts and we play all the time. He sleeps and cuddles by my warm body. We are already very close. I think Meeko found his way to me. I named him after the mischievous raccoon companion in Pocahontas and the fact that his markings are similar to a raccoon. Plus it's a cute name.

I want to say thank you to Katey and the ARK organization for your efforts. You've given us both a family. :)


Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for my cat, my opportunity to be in Korea, my friends at home, my friends here, my family, Phil, my students, food, G-Market.co.kr, my senses, knowledge, and so many more things. I love you, life!

0 comments:

Post a Comment